Montreal, Quebec, March 12, 2012 – Imperial Tobacco Canada issues the following statement on the first day of the Blais and Létourneau Class Actions in the Montreal Court House before the Honourable Mr. Justice Riordan.
"Imperial Tobacco Canada welcomes the start of this Class Action proceeding.
It especially welcomes the opportunity to tell the entire story behind the development, manufacture, promotion and sale of tobacco in Canada, including:
- How the government of Canada has legalized, heavily regulated and taxed the tobacco industry in Canada.
- How the federal government has been a virtual partner with the industry in all aspects of the manufacturing and marketing of tobacco products for decades, directing, mandating and advising on virtually every critical aspect of these activities.
- How the health risks of smoking have been known for decades.
- These Class Actions, like the government health care costs recovery actions taken in other provinces and soon to be taken in Quebec, and like other actions taken across the country, are simply an opportunistic cash grab.
- Imperial Tobacco Canada is confident that, once it has had an opportunity to present its defence, and to tell the entire story behind tobacco in Canada, it will be successful in this case."
- IMPERIAL TOBACCO CANADA COMMENTS ON BLAIS AND LÉTOURNEAU CLASS ACTIONS (15 kb)